It’s easy to get caught up in the cute faces and soft fur when you’re thinking about bringing a pet home. The truth is, adopting a companion animal is a big step — one that will affect your lifestyle for many years. Its so important to consider whether bringing an animal into your life is right for you before any adorable faces find their way into your heart.Far too many animals in this country are initially loved and then neglected or abandoned over time because owners decide — too late — that caring for pets is more responsibility than they are able to handle.
Before you make your final decision, make sure you ask yourself, “Are you ready to adopt?”
A Few Things to Consider
With good care, most dogs can live 12 to 15 years and most cats can live 15 to 20 years, so it is critical that you consider what is likely to be happening in your own life over the next 15 to 20 years.
Before you adopt a pet answer these questions.
- Have you thought about how a pet will be completely dependent on you (food, water, vet appointments, exercise, shelter, companionship)?
- What will happen if you decide to move?
- Does your lifestyle and personality make you a good pet owner?
- What major changes might happen to you during a pet’s lifetime? (Marriage, children, a new job)
- Will you be able to continue spending the time, energy and money needed to care for your pet when taking on new responsibilities like those?
- What will you do if your spouse or child is allergic to or cannot get along with your pet?
- If you’re getting a pet for children you have now, are you willing to take on the responsibility of caring for this pet when your children grow up, lose interest or move away?
- Have you previously owned a pet that died prematurely due to a preventable accident or illness, such as being hit by a car or suffering from heartworm disease? If so, what will you do differently with a new pet to prevent the same thing from happening again?
So, Are You Ready?
If you’ve thought it over and feel ready to give a loving pet a forever home, we’d love to help you! Here’s how it works.
Take a look at our adoptable cats! Take a look on our website or visit us at the shelter.
To start the adoption process, you’ll need to fill out our Adoption Application. You have 3 options:
1) Click here and fill out the online form
2) Click here to download the form. Return the form to us after printing and filling it out.
3) Visit the shelter and fill the form out.
Our adoption committee, made up of volunteers, will review your application and contact you.
Pay your adoption fee. An important part of pet ownership (as if anyone really owns a cat!) is the realization that a visit to a vet, at least on an annual basis, will be required. Your new cat has had a series of vaccinations and has also been spayed(girls) or neutered (guys) to prepare them for their new home. All of this costs money and must be raised by VCSPCA volunteers. To help offset the cost of getting your new cat ready for you to love, we have an adoption fee of $100 for adult cats and $125 for kittens.
We are here to connect these loving pets with their forever homes. If you have any questions, please reach out to us!